Friday, September 22, 2006

At breakfast we consumed a reprehensible buffet of assorted Nordic things.

woop...woop....
those are happy noises around here.
I don't exactly know why i'm happy, but that's ok. I found out about this "on demand" feature on my tv today. I can watch lots of cool movies on it. Today I had a horrible decision over whether to watch Desperately Seeking Susan (yay, madonna and Aidan Quinn) and An Ideal Husband (yay, everyone I like), and in the end, Oscar Wilde won out....as he always should, really. I do have an unwholesome attachment to Oscar Wilde. He is right up there with Rasputin and James Spader (do you want to know?).

So I began knitting a lap blanket thing for the superhubby's super great grandma. She has been ill lately, and she is in a nursing place and confined to a wheel chair. I heard that it's really cold there and she always has to borrow wheel chair blankets from the other ladies who have been there for longer, so I thought that I would make her one of her own. I'm not really sure about how big these things are supposed to be, but I figured I would just start making away, and sooner or later it will be big enough. I'm doing it in squares to be sewn together, so all the dimensions are adjustable.

I want to put in a word here to recommend the "knitting experience " books by Sally Melville. I have the first two, and I think that they are nice. Some of the projects are weird, but that's ok. i didn't learn in the way that she teaches, and I think that some of her writing is a little bit stupid, but the directions seem nice, and the books are what they seem. The first one only used the knit stitch....all of it, only knitting...no purling in sight. I don't know why this is necessary, but it is true. And let me clarify that it isn't just her that I find a little stupid....it's all these books now that talk about knitting as some kind of therapy, or soul healing or anything lame like that. I mean shut up...if you have to justify knitting to yourself in some way, than maybe you shouldn't be doing it. It's like these ladies are ashamed that they spend all this time knitting, and they tell people that they do it to relieve the stress in their lives so that no one makes fun of them.

Well I say that is retarded.

I'm not ashamed of my yarn.

I love it.

And my family may think that i'm crazy, but i don't care. My superhubby and superkid both love the yarn. They think it is fabulous. everyone else in the world is pretty much a loser. I think that if everyone in the world had a couple of skeins of malabrigo sitting in their houses to pet and love, it would be a much nicer world to live in.

P.S. seriously, buy some malabrigo yarn...it is the best. Uraguay is now my favorite country. After Peru.

No comments: